Monday, April 16, 2007

Liminal slide

Today I talked to Chelsea. We talked about liminal spaces... she defines them as spaces in between one thing and another usually refering to time.

A plane ride is the typical example, after you left but before you arrive... hmm sort of like cyberspace - the place where an e-mail is after you have sent it before it has arrived with the person you sent it to... can't remember where I heard that definition but it stuck.

I told Chelsea that I find myself in a strange place with my bag still packed no apartment or room of my own and no plan to change that situation before mid june. It is a place of unrest. Not stress, just a lack of relaxation. I think I need to take care of that... it is not necessarily an apartment or a room I need (it would help) but could also be something I do. Maybe I should go swimming, running or something like that... Yes, I think that is a great idea. Running is a great thing for me... it gives me time to think, no one to relate to, time to meditate, physical motion to rest my mind... I often run when I am a bit confused and have then felt how it becomes a ritual for finding direction - physical direction becoming mental direction.

Bodil Jönsson writes a passage about something called "ställtid" in her bestseller Ten thoughts on time (Tio tankar om tid). Ställtid is the time it takes to arrange things so that you can start doing whatever it is you want to do.

I have observed my own behavior (composing photo slideshows of my trip, myspacing friends in the US, partying until early morning, enjoying the jetlag). I have seen it, accepted it, now it is time to deal with it.

No comments: